My mom used to sing that song to me every night. She would sing, "You are my curly-headed baby" to my sister.
Silas stalking his prey: a stink bug on my plant.
Today he was talking to his grandmother on the phone and he told her he was really excited about her coming up to see him. Then my four-year-old son asked in a perfectly adult voice, "Are you looking forward to coming up?"
He makes me cry with his goodness. The other day we had an argument over whether he was going to come and help me put up the goats for the night or not. I wanted him to go, he desperately didn't want to go. As I walked out the door I said something along the lines of him staying in his room and forgetting about Mommy (did I really say that to my son? I can be so awful sometimes). When I came back in 10 minutes later I couldn't find him in the house. I opened the back door and started calling for him. He'd put his socks and boots on and was out by the goats looking for me. As he came up to me he started crying saying, "Mommy I didn't want to forget about you."
Today at lunch we were all eating our bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches Christian had made us when Silas all of a sudden picks up his plate and starts licking it. Licking it like you do when there's just a little bit of syrup left on your plate and no one's watching. Then he puts down his plate, looks at us, sighs and says, "CHEESE!"
We've had this running conversation about when he grows up and leaves the house. It's a mixture of Toy Story 3 and his understanding of the song, "You Are My Sunshine." I've told him that when he gets older and he leaves, that my heart won't be as bright. Last week he spent a few days at my dad's house. Before he left he asked me how dark my heart was going to be. Then he asked if I would be all right because I would still have Eli and Daddy with me. When he returned he told me that while he was away his heart was a little dark because he missed all of us so much.
I don't know why God blessed us with such a boy, but I thank Him everyday for it.





No comments:
Post a Comment