Since Blake has been here I haven't really had to entertain Silas too much. This has given me some extra time with this little guy here.
He is more than happy to let me take his picture. He just doesn't want to sit still to let me do it. He likes hanging out with me, though. We were sitting on the edge of the cabin porch and swinging our legs together. Then he would ask for me to let him down and he would run around to the steps, go up them and come and sit next to me again. Then we would do it all over again.
He's become such a gem. He sings almost constantly, and at the top of his voice. He dances to the slightest tune. I especially love it when his mind is on something else and his body just starts wiggling. He can't help it. Once he had Tater Tot in his arms and started dancing with her (while she was struggling to get away).
Look at my cute little boy! It's a good thing swimming season is almost over because this life jacket is almost too small. He likes swimming more this year, though. He really likes jumping off the ladder (while I'm holding his hands) and into the water.
He's become really sweet and helpful lately. He always tries to clean up any mess he's made. He'll go and get things for me (like a fresh diaper or a towel). He helps unload the dishwasher. He will almost always give you a hug when you ask nicely.
Every time he wakes up he asks, "Good...sleep...Mummy? Yeah?" He always has to take his blanket, lovey, and monkey out of bed with him but doesn't care about them once he's up. He likes to help in the kitchen. If we include him, in some small way, in what we're doing then he is so much easier to handle. He likes the attention, man.
He's talking a lot more and saying his words better. I can make out almost all of what he says. If I can't then Silas usually can. I tried starting him in room time a few weeks ago, giving him a few toys to play with and a few books. He hated it. He does NOT like being alone. I think he's still just a tad too young for it. We'll try him again with it later.
He is developing a lot. It's like his brain clicked and now he understands how his puzzles work and is starting to understand his numbers. Colors and letters are still a little ways off, although he does sing the alphabet song sometimes. He does like to draw and color and also likes working with the manipulatives I got for him. Mostly because then he can hold it up and say, "Look Mummy!" and get a cheer from me.
The other day we were working outside, cutting up wood. I was moving the big logs and throwing them over the fence so we could pick them up with the truck. Every time I threw a big one over the fence he would clap his hands and say, "Yea! Good...job...Mummy!" He loves anything with wheels on it and anything to do with a farm. He thinks the EIEIO in Old MacDonald actually says, "Eli-Eli-O." It might be because that's how we sing it to him.
I do sometimes feel like he's my biggest accomplishment so far. Silas is such a compliant child; parenting him has always been easy. Eli has been a lot harder. But we've seen improvement. Some because he's getting older but some because we've worked hard at being consistent with him. Not allowing him to throw fits. Making him eat his food. Teaching him to talk instead of whine when he wants something. Hopefully he will continue to grow out of some of his toddler tendencies (i.e. not sharing and not being nice) and we'll continue to be consistent in our discipline. It is most assuredly a journey, not a destination!









No comments:
Post a Comment