Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Burns' Night

The Scottish celebrate the poet Robert Burns' birthday every year with dinner and dancing every year on the 25th of January.  My father-in-law organized a dinner this year that included the burning of a great pile of wood, eating lots of haggis (or perhaps just a little), reciting some of Burns' poetry (the most famous being 'Auld Lang Syne') and moving in certain formations that some would call dancing.  It was a lovely evening.

My nephew with a slightly more Scottish look to him than normal.

Christian in his kilt.  It was cold outside, so he wasn't willing to go without trousers.

ELI!!!

The burnfire.

Christian waltzing with his sister.

Doing the sword dance, which I'm sure has a proper name that I don't know.

Since we don't have very many ancient battle swords laying around (where are you when we need you Josh?), we had to make do with some of Silas' plastic ones.

I think we all got our exercise in that night.

Silas joined Jasmine in for a dance.

Sophie and Stephen doing a Scottish jig.

Silas trying to do a Scottish jig.

Christian's turn. 

I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of the haggis; it was really nice mixed with mashed potato.  I did get a picture of this strange couple:


Oh, that's better.

No comments:

Post a Comment