Friday, July 6, 2012

Science Day

The boys and I had two science experiments this week.  The first was 'Gloop' or 'Flubber.'  It's really simple - equal parts school glue and liquid starch.  Once mixed together, it makes this soft silly putty that can be colored, marked on, stretched, cut, etc.  

Eli loved this stuff.  I got out the old markers and let him color on it.  

 He went to town.  He was stretching and pulling it.  He somehow managed to get it in his hair, too.  Thankfully it came out pretty easily in the bath.

Eli lasted a lot longer than Silas with this stuff, amazingly.

It was a great opportunity to try out the desk area in the newly renovated office.

Silas liked cutting it up, mostly because it's a little gooey and he has issues with dirty hands.

Here's the stuff.  I didn't have much school glue so I couldn't make a large quantity, but it was enough for an afternoon of play.

After that we did an experiment with Ivory soap.  I forgot to take pictures of the best part, however.  Put one bar of Ivory soap in the microwave for one minute and it will start to explode into a big cloud.  It's pretty cool.  After it cooled off, the boys were able to play with it a bit, and basically get soap flakes everywhere.  After they got as much fun out of the soap cloud as they could, I put it in the food processor with a little bit of water and mixed it back together.  Then I gave each boy half and let them put a bit of food coloring in it.  

Then we made molds out of my cookie cutters.  It's soap, so I didn't worry too much about what effect it would have on the cutters.  Now that they're dry again, we'll use them in the bath tonight.  I'll have to take pictures of it for an update.

No comments:

Post a Comment