His third birthday came up before it even felt like summer outside. We had lots of family gather at different times to give this boy a squish. A big BBQ the day before with friends and family made it a big to-do. But instead of just talking about the presents he received and the people he saw, I want to talk about who he is.
He is very vocal. He lets me know right away when he's upset, but he also lets me know when he's happy.
He's a silly goose sometimes. He likes to sing funny songs that his Daddy has made up. He likes to dance and shake his bottom, but mostly when no one else is looking.
He's been the biggest challenge of my life but it's starting to pay off. As he gets older and can communicate more, he gets less frustrated. The more he understands that he can't have everything he wants at that very second, the more he's able to remain calm.
He's becoming a very sweet boy. He still has trouble sharing toys, but he'll share his candy with everyone around.
Every time I dread the next step because I think it's going to be so difficult to get him through it, he surprises me. I did it when I weaned him. I thought it was going to be horrible weaning him. But it wasn't. He did it easily with not much fuss. And now, the same can be said of potty training. I was dreading it. I foresaw tantrums, accidents, out right rebellion and failure. Yet he was really easy to potty train. We were able to slowly ease him into it. No arguments, no fits, and hardly any accidents (seriously, I think I had to clean up dirty underwear maybe three times).
I've learned from him that sometimes if I want a different response from someone then I need to change. With Eli, if you fight fire with fire then you just get a bigger fire. I've learned the value in Proverbs 15:1, "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." It's proved true with Eli. When he starts a fit, if I remain calm, get on his level, and give him a gentle answer, it really does help. That's not to say I'm not firm with him or that I don't discipline because I am. But I've learned the value of holding my temper and my tongue. (A lesson I've had to learn again. Hope it's the last time!)
He's a lot of fun to have around.
He says the cutest things right now and can be very lovable.
He tells me he really loves me about five times a day. Unprompted.
He likes hugs and tolerates kisses.
He's a good prayer. While I know his level of understand is very low at this point, I still think it's wise for us to make him think of things to say thank you to God for. His prayers often revolve around people, those he's gotten to see recently and some he hasn't. They seem to be genuine thoughts, not ones we've placed there for him. It's so interesting to find out what is going on in that little mind of his.
While he can be a bit of a tyrant on occasion, he's learning that he doesn't get what he wants when he acts that way. He has learned, however, that a kiss and a few bats of the eyelashes will get him almost anything.
He thinks if he pushes his belly out real big that he's showing his strong belly muscles. He also likes to show me his strong hands.
He's a candy-eating machine. Now that he's getting older and I can logic things out with him, he'll eat some vegetables without a huge battle at every meal time. If he wants bigger belly muscles then he has to eat his vegetables!
He's a helper. He likes be useful to us.
He likes to be doing things with us, not just near us (like Silas). He wants to be involved in whatever we're doing. If I give him a task then he rarely ever has a fit. It's when he's got no direction that he starts having trouble.
Happy Birthday my little Eli! You are a joy! It's such a privilege to be your Mommy and I thank God for the blessing you are to us.
P.S.
I have to remember this little boy when he turned three! I could spend hours listing his wonderful qualities. He's one of the loves of my life.



















No comments:
Post a Comment