Thursday, February 2, 2012

Homemade Fabric Softener

I make my own laundry detergent.  I do it for several reasons:  it's easy, fun (it makes me feel like a junior chemist), much cheaper, and I feel like I'm not getting scammed by the big detergent companies and their too-big scoopers (it's a conspiracy, I tell you).  I know exactly what is going into my washer and onto our clothes. 

There's only one real drawback to making my own laundry detergent.  It doesn't have a smell.  Even if you use a heavily scented soap to make it, it still doesn't leave a smell on your clothes.  And I like the nice, clean smell of Gain or Tide.  It's a conundrum I've been working on for a while. I've tried a few different things.  I bought dryer sheets, but then I just felt like I was wasting the money I was saving by making my own detergent.  I mean, how much am I paying for a little sheet with who-knows-what on it just so my clothes will smell great?  And I usually dry my clothes outside, so I didn't even use them.  The next thing I tried was placing a few drops of essential oils in my washer.  But that can really mess with your washer and it didn't really work.  After that I tried putting a few drops of essential oil on a cloth and throwing it into the dryer with the clothes.  But again, I don't always use my dryer, and I also only had peppermint oil and sandalwood, and nobody wants their clothes to smell like those things.  It didn't work too well, either.

Then I found this recipe for fabric softener:

Pinned Image
6 cups hot water
2 cups nice-smelling conditioner
3 cups vinegar
Add the conditioner to the hot water and mix it up completely.  Then mix in the vinegar.  Pour about 2 tablespoons into your washer's fabric softener hole.

I made this today and used it on a load of clothes.  It was EASY to make and very inexpensive.  I had high hopes for it because I could actually smell the scent from the conditioner while it was washing.  After they dried, the clothes did smell better.  I wouldn't say they smelled as strongly as Gain or Tide, but they did have a pleasant smell to them.  Yea!



No comments:

Post a Comment